Thursday, 20 August 2015

Getting the Sov back on the road, part 2

So I had to get the Forty to the garage for an MOT, easier said than done as it's not easy to get out of the driveway! The road where I live still hasn't been surfaced and is at a significantly lower level to the driveway, plus the Sov is very low on it's shorter springs. This meant I had to make a makeshift ramp to stop the underside bottoming out on the kurb!

I've now got the '40 back from the MOT garage, it's not too bad to be honest! Not as bad as last time, thankfully a few of the problems have fixed themselves whilst it's been sat in the garage over the last year... a nice result. So these are the fail areas...

Nearside inner rear (sill to) subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.
Offside inner rear (sill to) subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.
Offside outer rear (sill to) subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.
Nearside outer rear (wheel arch to) subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.
Offside inner rear (wheel arch to) subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.

So the back end needs quite a bit of welding basically. I asked the chap what it would cost, he said maybe £300, but it depends how much metal needs to be cut out and replaced out course. The only advisory was: nearside front floor corroded - so want to get that done at the same time too. The only downer is that he's not going to be able to start any work until the end of the month as he's going on holiday soon...
I may look at finding some decent body sections that have been chopped out of a breaker as it may save a lot of fabrication work. I'm very much looking forward to getting it done and the '40 back on the road now. I really need to continue to keep it garaged in future so it doesn't deteriorate furthe...

Getting the Sov back on the road

The Forty has been SORN and off the road for about a year now, I've decided it's time to give it some TLC and get it back driving. It's been garaged thankfully, for the first time since I've owned it. The battery was flat but after a good charge it lept into life and the engine ran well as usual.

At the last MOT there was quite a list of fails, I'd intended to tackle these myself but I've had no time with one thing and another. The main failure was to structural body areas underneath that require welding, I did want to buy a welder and get into having a go at that but I've now decided to pay someone to do the work and just get the car back on the road. So the next thing is to get it down to the test station and find out whether anything has got better or worse since it's been laid up!