I felt the front suspension on the XJR could be better, there weren't any knock but it just felt slightly loose. So I decided to do a freshen up of some of the bushes.
The larger bushes - subframe mounts and lower wishbone bushes - looked to be decent still. The anti-roll bar 'D' bushes actually looked very good, like they'd been replaced at some point. The damper, drop link and upper wishbone bushes all appeared fine, but a little worn and past their best, so I decided to replace those. I already had some XJ40 upper wishbones with polybushes and new ball joints fitted lurking in the garage, so decided to fit those.
It was a fairly straight forward job, though I did run into a few snags of course. There was some cylinder shaped thingy with it's mounting bracket preventing the upper wishbone bolt sliding out on the off side which had to be removed, you can see it hanging down in the bottom left corner of the bottom picture. As usual the drop link bush that mounts to the lower wishbone was seized onto the bolt, I had to rip the rubber part away from the sleeve and attack that with an angle grinder get it off.
All done, quick test drive and there is a perceivable improvement to the handling which is pleasing, the movement of the wheels just feels better controlled.